Northern plays a vital role in the north of England by connecting tens of thousands of people to work, leisure, education and more every day. Our aim is to connect you to opportunities by providing a reliable and friendly train service. We have made significant progress since we started but there is much more that we want to achieve.
Facts and figures
Northern was formed in December 2004 when our parent companies won the franchise contract (awarded by the UK Government) to operate train services in the north of England until September 2013.
• We have 4,800 employees providing nearly 2,550 local and regional train services every weekday, making us the largest train operator in the UK.
• We run trains across the north of England, serving a population of nearly 15m.
• Our trains call at over 500 stations (approximately 20% of all UK railway stations), of which we manage 462.
• We lease around 290 trains, both diesel and electric.
• We provide direct access to three National parks; Peak District, Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors as well as routes into the Lake District.
Plummer to head RDG Paul Plummer is to succeed Michael Roberts as the chief executive of the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) and the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC).
NTAR - Setting the standard A training academy which sees itself playing a pivotal role in finally grasping the rail industry’s skills challenge is set to open in October.