|Career Level||Intermediate Level|
|Salary||40,000 per year|
|Company Size||Large (1000+ employees)|
|Posted Date||August 7th 2012|
For over 65 years, Talascend has been at the leading edge of recruiting in the technical sector. From our global offices on four continents, we match first class talent with the best job opportunities in Engineering, Construction, Manufacturing, Healthcare and IT. In a market where demand for skills is high and supply low, we`re helping our customers to connect with the right people and companies for them - bringing together hiring managers, HR strategists and technical professionals to help complete projects on time and on budget.
Rail, Operational Engineer (HV Electrical Maintenance and Construction), Kent
Permanent Salary - £40,000 + Benefits including: Car, Pension and Overtime
Talascend are currently seeking a Senior Authorised Person with experience in electrical distribution systems for a permanent position as an Operational Engineer to be based in Kent.
The Operational Engineers role is to deliver the engineering activities within their allocated Operational team. To undertake the delivery of Construction and Maintenance requirements relating to our client`s owned assets and associated infrastructure under the direction of the Lead Operational Engineer.
To deputise for the Lead Operational Engineer when required including attendance at Client and Contractor meetings as required.
The Operational Engineer will work with and Support the Divisional Managers, Lead Operational Engineer and other members of the Strategic Operations Senior Management team in the delivery of Business objectives and future budget identification and delivery.
Work with the Assistant Operational Engineers, Technicians, Apprentices and Contractors to undertake and complete the construction or maintenance activities in a safe and efficient manner whilst minimising disruption to the client electricity supplies.
The Operational Engineer will ensure delivery of Client focused Capital works Construction projects, N.A.M.P and maintenance plans as directed by the Lead Operational Engineer, oversee the management of substation and cabling construction and maintenance works as required on designated Client private networks Infrastructure. The position holder will work with team members to ensure high standards of safety management are maintained throughout all activities during the delivery of the engineering tasks in accordance with our client`s Zero Harm initiative.
- Delivery of the Construction and Maintenance programmes for assets operating at voltages through the range 400kV to 433v & 400v
- Work with the Lead Operational Engineer to ensure that all programmes of work are delivered to time and budget in line with contractual commitments to time, cost and quality
- Work with Technicians and Apprentices to ensure the delivery of all engineering activities
- Assist in the management of budgets relating to the construction and maintenance delivery and meet ongoing company objectives
- Adherence to Client and the employer`s Operations and Procedures
- Operation of HV and 415LV Distribution Protection Systems
- Testing and Commissioning of HV and LV Distribution System
- Maintenance of the Control and Protection Systems
- Maintenance of specialist equipment including SVCs and Load Balancers
- Ensuring compliance with CDM and Health & Safety policies
- Developing site specific H,S & E procedures
- Compliance with the employer`s quality policies
- Operate and update Asset database in respect of project activities
- Responsible for both reactive and planned maintenance activities
- Carry out fault investigation and repairs as required
- Modifying equipment and drawings to ensure the efficient operation of the substations
- Ensuring the compliance with the distribution safety rules during all activities
- Active supervision of all contractors/staff working on site
- Undertake additional activities commensurate with the job level and competency
- Co-ordinate day to day construction and maintenance activities with Client / Principal Contractor`s ensuring programmes are met
- Obtain quotations from suppliers and raise Purchase Order request in coordination with Finance & Governance team
- Change Management - ensure early warning notices etc are brought to the attention of the Divisional Manager / Commercial Manager & Client
- Provide technical support as part of the Strategic Operations team
- When deputising for the Lead Operational Engineer deliver team briefings, give feed-back where necessary
- Identify potential project risks/opportunities (raise awareness within team / company)
- Proactively seeking continuous improvement
- Required to participate in a standby rota and work additional hours as required to maintain the supplies to the Client infrastructure
- Working unsocial hours when required to respond to faults on system
- Assist the Lead Operational Engineer in the development of the ongoing NAMP
- Undertake the delivery of maintenance and construction activities as required to meet client requirements within their area of authorisation
- Represent the employer when required at meetings with clients and contractors
- When undertaking engineering activities manage the team of employees and contractors for the successful delivery
- When undertaking engineering activities manage the compliance with all H&S procedures such as Putting People to Work and Distribution Safety Rules
- When necessary work with other team members to carry out activities such as switchgear, battery and transformer maintenance, substation inspection cleaning and painting
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Senior Authorised Person as defined by the Distribution Safety Rules
- Experience in distribution systems through the range 400kV to 433v & 400v
- Security clearance for Client infrastructure Access
- Medical & Drugs and Alcohol screening
- Educated to HNC level qualification in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of distribution HV Systems
- Knowledge of Building Services Systems
- Working knowledge of specialist HV equipment for the relevant client Network such as SVCs & load balancers
- Ability to read drawings and understand content
- Ability to work in different environments
- Excellent analytical, organisation & planning skills
- Ability to identify problems, understand key issues and investigate alternatives
- Hold full driving licence
- Ability to use Microsoft Office suite, Outlook, MS Project and other bespoke software packages
- A broad understanding of the UK Power industry and its businesses
- An understanding and working knowledge of the employer`s PC&G process
- An ability to travel around the Strategic Operations Client portfolio
- A broad understanding of Strategic Operation clients requirements
- To possess strong and persuasive negotiating and influencing skills
- Ability to manage time and to meet deadlines
- To be skilful in decision making
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Relevant Safety Qualification such as IOSH or NEBOSH
- Knowledge of Construction Design and Management Regulations
Nature and Scope:
Working with the Divisional Manager, Lead Operational Engineers, other team members and managers, the post holder needs to be a strong team player able to work and within a pressurised environment to focus on the successful delivery of construction and maintenance works to time and quality, and also to the client`s satisfaction.
The post holder requires excellent communication skills in order to interact with both client and contractors.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those qualified individuals who closely meet the qualifications of the position will be contacted. The details of the position are only a summary, other duties may be assigned as necessary.
Please also note that in line with legal requirements should you be considered for an opportunity in the UK, we will require you to provide identification and proof of your eligibility to work in the UK. You may also be asked for copies of your certificates of qualification.
Finally, we will retain your details (in line with the Data Protection Act 1984) unless you inform us that you do not wish us to do so. Of course, we will not provide your details to any of our clients in relation to future opportunities unless you have given us permission to do so.
Talascend is an Equal Opportunity Employer (E/O/E)