|Location||Manchester, Greater Manchester|
|Career Level||Not Specified|
|Company Size||Not Specified|
|Posted Date||May 16th 2012|
|Start Date||Not Specified|
Thales Group: Project Engineer (Project Delivery)
Thales is a global company with 68,000 employees and has 13.1 billion in revenue in two major sectors:
* Defence and Security * Aerospace and Transport
Thales serves ground transport operations in three key areas:
* Rail signalling for main lines and urban transport * Communication and Supervision ? Operation and control centres for rail networks * Fare collection
They help to optimise the use of rail and road infrastructures in :
* Safety * Efficiency of operations * Passenger services
Thales UK?s transportation systems business has around 1,300 employees across eight main sites, with other project offices located close to our key customers. We employ more rail signalling and telecoms engineers than any other company in UK.
Transport networks around the world rely on technology and systems expertise from Thales for safety, reliability and optimised capacity. Our main markets in the UK are urban and mainline rail, where our solutions include signalling (train control, axle counters, interlockings, train protection and warning systems, services), supervision and control, integrated communications, security and infor­mation management.
Clients include Transport for London, Network Rail, London Under­ground, Dock­lands Light Railway, Transport for Greater Manchester, the Association of Train Operating Com­panies and a significant number of train operating companies.
With an annual turnover of £200m, a current order book worth around £800m and a strong order pipeline up to 2016 and beyond, our portfolio of products and solutions ? backed by a full range of engineering and project delivery capability ? is second to none.
Overall Job Purpose:
The TMS project is responsible for the implementation of the Tram Management System (TMS) across Phase 1 and 2 (existing lines) and Phase 3 (new lines) areas is divided into geographic sections and each section is allocated to be the responsibility of one of three Delivery Teams: A, B and C. Each delivery team has a Project Delivery Manager and a Project Engineer (delivery).
For Phase 3, the new lines, the TMS project provides the TMS design and equipment to a separate contractor MPT who undertakes the installation of TMS equipment. The TMS project then tests and commissions the TMS system. MPT is a consortium between MPACT and Thales under a separate contract to the same client.
The purposes of this role are:
1. to support Project Delivery Manager of Delivery Team A
2. to contribute Construction Design expertise to the overall delivery team, specifically the design of fixings to structures and minor civils
The Project Engineer will assist in various areas of the day-to-day management of the route sections allocated responsibility to Team A, including taking delegated responsibility to attend meetings on behalf of the Project Delivery Manager.
The second responsibility is a specific competence required for this Project Engineer position and is to ensure that this competence is covered by the TMS delivery function overall. The other Project Engineers will also have different specific team competencies.
1. To work with and interface to all disciplines of the TMS project team (design, software, testing, installation) to ensure that deliverables and milestones contained in the TMS delivery programmes for Team A sections are achieved.
2. To work with and interface to the other relevant stakeholder, (predominantly MPT) project teams (installation and testing) to ensure that the MPT deliverables and milestones contained in the TMS delivery programmes for Team A sections are achieved and in accordance with the TMS designs.
3. Support the Delivery Project Manager with the production of both the monthly client and internal Thales reports related to the Team A sections.
4. Work closely with the TMS Programme and Possession Planners to ensure that the Programme is in line with the more detailed planning of the works to be carried out and to ensure that the detailed planning of these works is undertaken either by the TMS project or MPT, as appropriate.
5. Support the Delivery Project Manager (Team A) by leading site based activities, where required and including snagging walk through, test readiness reviews and site inspections/surveys
6. Support the Delivery Project Manager (Team A) by leading on the preparation for the test readiness gateways from MPT to the TMS project, specifically to ensure that MPT test records and snagging information are available.
7. Attendance at TMS team project and MPT progress meetings, and monitoring/completing actions.
8. To produce outline designs for specific fixing or installations details required to address site specific issues. These designs are produced as outlines for the TMS CAD operator to create design drawings and which will then be checked and approved by the TMS Construction Manager and the TMS CRE (Competent Resident Engineer) respectively.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
1. The post demands experience in a project environment and knowledge of the construction/installation/site phases of a railway/tramway or telecommunications sector.
2. The post holder must be an effective team player with good communications and influencing skills.
3. The post holder must have an understanding of Cost and Schedule obligations within a project environment.
4. The post holder must have relevant qualifications in minor civils design and Network Rail PTS accreditation is highly desirable.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
1. Network Rail PTS accreditation is highly desirable.
1. The career path for this role is towards a Project Manager