|Location||London, England/London All|
|Career Level||Not Specified|
|Job Type||Not Specified|
|Company Size||Not Specified|
|Posted Date||June 22nd 2012|
|Start Date||Not Specified|
Technical Manager - Integrated Communication and Supervision Systems
Primary Purpose of the Role:
The Technical Manager, Products and Systems, Integrated Communication and Supervision Systems (ICS), (herein ?Technical Manager?) will be responsible for the development and delivery of technical product and system development strategies (particularly the product technical roadmaps) for the Thales Transportation Systems business in the UK. These roadmaps will take account of the UK specific market technical requirements and the products and systems available throughout the Thales Group and their respective development roadmaps. The Technical Manager will engage with all internal and external stakeholders to ensure robust, funded and approved roadmaps are created.
The Technical Manager will act as the technical authority within Thales Transportation Systems for the UK specific market technical requirements for Thales products and systems, and will communicate these technical requirements to the respective Product Line Managers.
The Technical Manager will support bids and projects with the provision of technical information, technical documentation and technical support relating to these products and systems, including the provision of detailed product development roadmaps and version release plans.
The Technical Manager will develop good working relationships with the Product Design Authorities and will co-ordinate access to these authorities on behalf of bids and projects in progressing bids and proposals and in resolving product technical issues. In particular, the Technical Manager will demonstrate compliance with Product Policy in securing the respective Design Validation Forms (for bids) and Design Validation Certificates (for projects).
The Technical Manager will act as the technical point of contact for competing communication and or supervision systems products and systems, in particular those made available to the UK transportation systems market by local competitors.
The Technical Manager will be market driven and will proactively support the customer, via the Sales and Marketing function, to identify technical solutions to any technical problems they may have in fulfilling their business aspirations.
The Technical Manager will provide support to the development of business cases for Self-Funded Research and Development (SFR&D) opportunities, in particular by defining the respective product development/adaptation requirements, and by estimating the technical activities required to deliver the development. Where funding is granted and SFR&D projects are undertaken, the Technical Manager will be responsible for the technical governance of the respective SFR&D projects, ensuring the delivery of a technical solution that adheres to the baseline solution. Where technical issues are encountered during SFR&D projects that result in a deviation from the baseline solution, the Technical Manager will take a leading role in the management of technical change, seeking and implementing innovative solutions to such issues and deviations.
* Domain Transportation Systems UK Technical Director
* An active contributor to the whole Technical Directorate team
* Product Line Managers and Product Design Authorities in the ICS Business Line
* Other Division Transportation System units worldwide
* Other Thales units in the UK and abroad
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* DTS UK local technical authority for transportation products and systems in general and those for communication and supervision systems specifically;
* DTS UK focal point for technical dialog with Product Line Managers, Product Design Authorities and Business Line Design Authorities;
* Awareness and evaluation of the technical aspects of local competitors products and systems offerings;
* Technical support to proactive opportunity development;
* Technical support to bids and projects;
* Support to the development and delivery of investment cases;
* Definition of product development/adaptation technical requirements;
* Technical governance of product/system development related SFR&D projects.
12 month KPIs
* Win-rate for bids under technical supervision
* Quality metrics from the programmes under technical governance
* Technical Roadmaps written, amended and/or reviewed
* Ideas captured in Innovation Management System
* Strong technical communications at all levels;
* Technical and personnel leadership skills.
* Proven technical solution definition and delivery track record in transportation systems of any kind and a good level of understanding of existing railway solutions and products, especially communication and supervision systems;
* Proven experience in the development and delivery of safe, high availability, resilient and secure solutions, concepts, engineering principals and processes;
* Experience of identification, evaluation and decomposition of customer technical requirements;
* Experience of winning and delivering similar technological solutions to non-transport sectors
* Demonstrable awareness/familiarity/knowledge of the following systems:
* Backbone communications systems, e.g. Fixed Transmission Networks, Gigabit Ethernet
Operational Control Centres, including:
* Radio Communications, e.g. GSM-R, TETRA
* Broadband Communications, e.g. 802.11
* Station Management Systems, including:
* Help Points
* Passenger Information Systems
* Experience of working with railway operating companies, including infrastructure operating companies, e.g. Network Rail / London Underground, train operating companies and freight operating companies, and experience of respective standards and delivery, approvals and acceptance processes.
Values & Behaviours:
* Perform through teaming
* Develop our people
* Chartered Engineer
* IRSE Licence / Membership
* Other technical and/or management related qualifications
Thales UK touches all of our lives, every day. Our expertise in secure network communications safeguards as many as 3.7 billion BACS transactions, worth around £1 trillion, every year. We are a leader in onboard equipment for civil and military aircraft.
What we do
Thales UK: Transport
Transport networks around the world rely on technology and systems expertise from Thales for safety, reliability and optimised capacity. Our main markets in the UK are urban rail, mainline rail and roads, where our solutions include signalling (train control, axle counters, interlockings, train protection and warning systems, services), supervision and control, integrated communications, security and information management.
What we offer you
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs.
We value talent and provide growth paths to all depending on the individual skills and abilities to move up the ladder.
With Thales employing 68,000 employees in 50 countries and 43% of all Thales UK roles being filled via internal movements our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields.
Thales UK Key Facts
* A prominent retailer commissioned Thales to develop a ?heat-sensing people counter' for use in its 400 stores
* 90% of all UK credit card transactions are secured by Thales
* Over 120,000 Thales Chip & PIN terminals have been installed across Europe
* Thales UK has earned 79 Queen's Awards for Technology and Export
* 90% of our sales are sourced from the UK
* 7% of our revenue is reinvested in R & D
* Thales has invested more than £2bn in the UK within the last 10 years
* Thales is the second largest defence systems supplier
* Thales embodies many famous companies, including Racal, Shorts Missiles, Pilkington Optronics, Redifon MEL, Thomson Marconi Sonar, Thorn Missile Electronics, Avimo, Helio and others